From: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XOrg/Gnome problems with Xkb Options (was gdm-2.6.0.3, XOrg/Gnome...)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:29:33
1 On Friday 25 June 2004 10:57, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 <snip>
3 >
4 > You should probably check bugs.gentoo.org, which is where any show
5 > stopping bugs would be that would block the upgrade. If there are no
6 > such bugs, then it would be a good idea for you to submit a feature
7 > request to have the newer version added to portage.
8
9 Good idea. I should've done that before writing here I guess. Sorry.
10 From Bug 46794, it looks like someone already brought this up in April,
11 so I'll drop it. Anyway, I already have the functionality that I want,
12 so it's moot for me now.
13
14 <snip>
15
16 > > xorg.conf file, X refuses to start at all. The server reports no
17 > > devices found so I guess the fglrx driver does not support the
18 > > Radeon IGP 340M, but isn't that driver from ATI? I tried the
19 > > opengl-update ati command after putting fglrx in the Driver
20 > > parameters of xorg.conf and before starting xdm (gdm), but no help
21 > > there either.
22 >
23 > Are you sure the driver supports the card? ATI are a little slow and
24 > getting drivers for newer cards into the package. If you are sure
25 > that the driver supports your card, I would suggest filing a bug on
26 > bugs.gentoo.org and letting the maintainer take a look at it.
27
28 Actually, I'm pretty sure the fglrx driver does not support that
29 card/chip. This is based on what I see when I try using it in addition
30 to a vague memory of having read that somewhere---maybe on forums. But
31 I'll look into it further and post a bug if the driver advertises
32 support for that card/chip.
33
34 <snip>
35 > > Using the radeon driver, when I start X with XSESSION in make.conf
36 > > set to Gnome (logging into gdm as root), I get a dialog that says:
37 >
38 > <snip>
41 <snip>
44 > Why not just remove all of the XKB stuff from your configuration? It
45 > doesn't look like you need it at all, and xorg-x11 will function fine
46 > without it. As an example, here is my InputDevice section with my
47 > keyboard in it:
48 >
49 > Section "InputDevice"
50 > Identifier "Keyboard0"
51 > Driver "keyboard"
52 > EndSection
53
54 Well, I thought that maybe the pc105 option would be important since
55 it's a laptop---does XOrg autoprobe for stuff like that? I wasn't sure
56 if the others were defaults or not.
57
58 I did try your suggestion, though, and oddly enough, Gnome still pops up
59 the same dialog when I log in as root. When I run the two commands
60 (xprop and gconftool-2), they show the same information as before. Is
61 this info cached by gnome or something? I would think that gnome would
62 get the info from the X server which I must assume is getting it from
63 xorg.conf. I restarted the machine to make sure that some stale cache
64 info wasn't lying around in some temp file or something, but it's still
65 there.
66
67 Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to stop it? It seems like
68 gnome got its info from X once, stored it somewhere, and now is keeping
69 it---in spite of the change to xorg.conf. Is that what's happening?
70 Seems like a bad idea, but maybe I'm missing something.
71
72 -Kevin
75 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list