From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gdm-2.6.0.3, XOrg/Gnome problems with Xkb Options and Xorg/xfs problem
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:54:37
1 On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 10:20, Kevin wrote:
2 > Hi Folks-
3 >
4 > Any particular reason why gdm-2.6.0.3 (latest) is not in portage? I see
5 > that gnome 2.6 has been in portage for awhile now, and I have 2.6.1_rc1
6 > installed, but the latest gdm ebuild in portage is still 2.4.4.7-r1.
7
8 > I just renamed my 2.4.4.7-r1 gdm ebuild in portage, put it in my overlay
9 > dir, renamed the selinux patch in files/ and wala, got a nice 2.6 gdm
10 > (which apparently has many new features over 2.4, though I haven't
11 > explored them at all yet).
12
13 You should probably check bugs.gentoo.org, which is where any show
14 stopping bugs would be that would block the upgrade. If there are no
15 such bugs, then it would be a good idea for you to submit a feature
16 request to have the newer version added to portage.
17
18 > While I'm asking about gdm, can anyone comment on these XOrg/Gnome
19 > problems I'm having (recently posted to gentoo-user but which elicited
20 > no replies)?
21 >
22 > I recently upgraded from xfree-4.3.0-r5 to xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1 and am
23 > having some problems. I've read the related posts in gentoo-user and
24 > gentoo-dev and in the forums, but don't see solutions to these issues
25 > being reported by anyone (though someone else in gentoo-user reported
26 > the same Xkb problem).
27 >
28 > One of my problems is apparently with the XKB options in the DeviceInput
29 > section of xorg.conf, but it only seems to show up when starting gnome
30 > and then only when I login in to gdm as root.
31 >
32 > I'm running this on an HP/compaq nx9010 laptop computer and I used the
33 > xorg.conf file found here
34 > http://www.freax.be/files/rh9_nx9010/fedora_-_xorg.conf as a base for
35 > my own. I made some modifications to it based on the xorg docs I've
36 > read.
37 >
38 > The hardware in this laptop is as follows:
39 > P4 2.4GHz
40 > 512MB RAM
41 > Bus1, Device5, Function0: ATI Radeon IGP 340M (rev 0)
42 >
43 > I'm using the radeon driver that is included in the XOrg package because
44 > it's the only one that seems to give me a functional X display at all.
45 > I do have ati-drivers and ati-drivers-extra installed, but when I use
46 > the "fglrx" driver from ati-drivers in my xorg.conf file, X refuses to
47 > start at all. The server reports no devices found so I guess the fglrx
48 > driver does not support the Radeon IGP 340M, but isn't that driver from
49 > ATI? I tried the opengl-update ati command after putting fglrx in the
50 > Driver parameters of xorg.conf and before starting xdm (gdm), but no
51 > help there either.
52
53 Are you sure the driver supports the card? ATI are a little slow and
54 getting drivers for newer cards into the package. If you are sure that
55 the driver supports your card, I would suggest filing a bug on
56 bugs.gentoo.org and letting the maintainer take a look at it.
57
58 > The man 4 radeon page shows 2D-only support for this card/chip with this
59 > driver. I'd like to have 3D support, but as I said, fglrx won't start
60 > up X.
61 >
62 > Using the radeon driver, when I start X with XSESSION in make.conf set
63 > to Gnome (logging into gdm as root), I get a dialog that says:
64
65 <snip>
66
67 > I don't get this when I log in as a normal user. Anyone know how to fix
68 > this or is it something I should even be concerned about (probably won't
69 > login to gdm as root very often---but are there other hidden
70 > consequences?)?
71 >
72 > I don't get this when I login using kdm to start kde or when I use
73 > startx/.xinitrc to start enlightenment or fvwm or twm. I'm using all
74 > of the latest packages (xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1, kde-3.2.3, gnome-2.6.1_rc1,
75 > fvwm-2.5.10-r5, enlightenment-0.16.7_pre4).
76 >
77 > I've followed the guidance at
78 > http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.7.0/doc/XKB-Config.html, but can't
79 > seem to resolve this problem with any clues there. In fact, I think my
80 > xorg.conf file has the exact same options they describe using there
81 > (except pc105).
82
83 Why not just remove all of the XKB stuff from your configuration? It
84 doesn't look like you need it at all, and xorg-x11 will function fine
85 without it. As an example, here is my InputDevice section with my
86 keyboard in it:
87
88 Section "InputDevice"
89 Identifier "Keyboard0"
90 Driver "keyboard"
91 EndSection
92
93 > I'm also having difficulty getting X to work with the X Font Server
94 > using unix sockets (thus the tcp port mentioned above). The xorg.conf
95 > man page states:
96
97 I won't be able to help you on that one, I just use the font paths.
100 Chris Gianelloni
101 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
102 Gentoo Linux
103
104 Is your power animal a penguin?