From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new developers' keyword requests
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 12:38:26
1 On 05/20/2016 03:36 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 05/19/2016 07:51 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
3
4 ..
7 > To make sure I understand what you're getting at, are you saying some
8 > devs get on board and then request to add keywords to packages that they
9 > already maintain? If said arches are already supported in Gentoo I see
10 > little problem with that, especially if they intend on being part of the
11 > arch testing team for that arch or have access to the hardware.
12
13 Can you elaborate on your definition of supported in this case? does it
14 deviate from stable arches (alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, ia64, ppc, ppc64,
15 sparc, x86)?
18 > But if this is a case of developers asking for arch keywords to be added
19 > for arches that aren't (yet) supported in Gentoo, I agree that we need
20 > some sort of formal requirements, much like we do for stabilization (30
21 > days no bugs, etc). Covering it in the devmanual is a great idea.
22
23 keywording for a new arch should normally only be done when necessary,
24 mainly if it is a direct dependency of another package. There is no need
25 to keywor it for an arch until it has been tested on that arch by some
26 user / developer ... certainly not because some committing developer
27 think it is nice to have all arches listed just in case.
28
29 It is actually already [covered in the devmanual]; " It's important to
30 note that alternative arches (like alpha, ia64, s390, sh, sparc, hppa,
31 ppc*) are mainly undermanned arches, some of them are slow, they have
32 more basic problems and have a small userbase. Just file bugs for these
33 architectures when a package is going to be a dependency of a package
34 already keyworded. "
37 > But adding keywords, as we know, comes with maintenance burden. New
38
39 Indeed, more people should think of this. Adding packages in itself adds
40 maintenance burdens for other teams and the usefulness should be
41 considered accordingly before doing so
42
43 > arches can't get supported without people active in the community and
44 > actually using the hardware. If that interest isn't there, why should we
45 > add the keywords to the main repo? Overlays may be a fine alternative.
46 >
47 > Just my 2ยข. Thanks for bringing this up, it's a topic I didn't know was
48 > a concern.
51 References:
52 [covered in the devmanual]
53 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html
58 Kristian Fiskerstrand
59 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
60 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3