From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new developers' keyword requests
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 13:21:09
1 On 05/20/2016 05:38 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 05/20/2016 03:36 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> On 05/19/2016 07:51 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 >
5 > ..
6 >
7 >>>
8 >> To make sure I understand what you're getting at, are you saying some
9 >> devs get on board and then request to add keywords to packages that they
10 >> already maintain? If said arches are already supported in Gentoo I see
11 >> little problem with that, especially if they intend on being part of the
12 >> arch testing team for that arch or have access to the hardware.
13 >
14 > Can you elaborate on your definition of supported in this case? does it
15 > deviate from stable arches (alpha, amd64, arm, hppa, ia64, ppc, ppc64,
16 > sparc, x86)?
17
18 I would say yes, if Gentoo has the manpower to maintain a stable branch
19 for an arch, it's supported. How *well* it's supported is a separate
20 concern and equally important.
23 >> But if this is a case of developers asking for arch keywords to be added
24 >> for arches that aren't (yet) supported in Gentoo, I agree that we need
25 >> some sort of formal requirements, much like we do for stabilization (30
26 >> days no bugs, etc). Covering it in the devmanual is a great idea.
27 >
28 > keywording for a new arch should normally only be done when necessary,
29 > mainly if it is a direct dependency of another package. There is no need
30 > to keywor it for an arch until it has been tested on that arch by some
31 > user / developer ... certainly not because some committing developer
32 > think it is nice to have all arches listed just in case.
33 >
34 > It is actually already [covered in the devmanual]; " It's important to
35 > note that alternative arches (like alpha, ia64, s390, sh, sparc, hppa,
36 > ppc*) are mainly undermanned arches, some of them are slow, they have
37 > more basic problems and have a small userbase. Just file bugs for these
38 > architectures when a package is going to be a dependency of a package
39 > already keyworded. "
40
41 Nice citation, I remember reading that last year. :) I agree: a new arch
42 should have users and testing backing it up so it doesn't get added and
43 later disappears or is left to sit and rot. As far as I understand, we
44 have the arches that we do because there are developers and users
45 willing to build it, submit bugs, and maintain it. New arches should be
46 held to the same standard.
49 >> But adding keywords, as we know, comes with maintenance burden. New
50 >
51 > Indeed, more people should think of this. Adding packages in itself adds
52 > maintenance burdens for other teams and the usefulness should be
53 > considered accordingly before doing so
54 >
55 >> arches can't get supported without people active in the community and
56 >> actually using the hardware. If that interest isn't there, why should we
57 >> add the keywords to the main repo? Overlays may be a fine alternative.
58 >>
59 >> Just my 2ยข. Thanks for bringing this up, it's a topic I didn't know was
60 >> a concern.
63 > References:
64 > [covered in the devmanual]
65 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html
72 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
73 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
74 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6