From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:47:02
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 01:42 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 >
4 >>There is *only one time* we can guarantee that we'll have a user's
5 >>attention. That's right after the message that tells a user how many
6 >>CONFIG_PROTECT files they need to fix by running etc-update.
9 > I definitely like the --news idea.
10
11 I think this is a great idea too.
12
13 >>Some of those who hold the keys to those places have actively resisted
14 >>this in the past. Personally, I don't think the front page or
15 >>gentoo-announce will reach many more users than the Forums et al already
16 >>do.
19 > Well, I think that if users knew that information would be on these
20 > places, they might actually check them. Currently, little to no
21 > information ever makes it to either of these locations, so users never
22 > bother to check them. If we were to change that, I'm sure users would
23 > eventually pick up on the fact.
24
25 I would agree with Chris here too. As long as we start using this
26 channel more and we get the word out, folks will start to be more
27 attentive to it. We can't satisfy every user out there and I think this
28 channel has a good chance of working.
31 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
32 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
33
34 ---
35 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
36 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
37
38 ramereth/irc.freenode.net