From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:27:17
1 On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 01:42 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > There is *only one time* we can guarantee that we'll have a user's
3 > attention. That's right after the message that tells a user how many
4 > CONFIG_PROTECT files they need to fix by running etc-update.
5
6 I definitely like the --news idea.
7
8 > Some of those who hold the keys to those places have actively resisted
9 > this in the past. Personally, I don't think the front page or
10 > gentoo-announce will reach many more users than the Forums et al already
11 > do.
12
13 Well, I think that if users knew that information would be on these
14 places, they might actually check them. Currently, little to no
15 information ever makes it to either of these locations, so users never
16 bother to check them. If we were to change that, I'm sure users would
17 eventually pick up on the fact.
20 Chris Gianelloni
21 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
22 x86 Architecture Team