From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:52:20
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 16:52 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
4 > Random thoughts about this important subject...
5 >
6 > Yes, there is a need to push non-obvious upgrade information to our
7 > users, and no, we can't rely on the GWN alone to convey that "official"
8 > message.
9
10 We can't rely on it *at all*. Why? Because it requires users to go and
11 read it.
12
13 The experience from the Apache & PHP changes is that a large percentage
14 of users (and quite a few developers!) do not read any of the following:
15
16 * GWN
17 * gentoo-dev mailing list
18 * Gentoo Forums
19 * Planet Gentoo
20
21 We've posted news about our changes to all of these places many times.
22 It simply didn't reach enough people.
23
24 There is *only one time* we can guarantee that we'll have a user's
25 attention. That's right after the message that tells a user how many
26 CONFIG_PROTECT files they need to fix by running etc-update.
27
28 (And if we don't have their attention at that point, they have bigger
29 problems to worry about anyway ;-)
30
31 > The reason why the front page and the gentoo-announce ML (the two
32 > official media for Gentoo -> users information) are under-used is that
33 > approximately 5% of the developers know how to post to them. We should
34 > probably make them more open (with a moderation system to check
35 > message), then they will be used more.
36
37 Some of those who hold the keys to those places have actively resisted
38 this in the past. Personally, I don't think the front page or
39 gentoo-announce will reach many more users than the Forums et al already
40 do.
41
42 I don't think it'll solve our problem.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Stu
46 --
47 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
48 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
49 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
50
51 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
52 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C