From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:26:44
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:40:12 +0100
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:35:58 -0500
6 >> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > All the arguments for keeping /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin
8 >> > separated are really instances of the Chewbacca defense [1]. They
9 >> > just don't make any sense.
10 >>
11 >> All the arguments for changing things are just realising that the
12 >> horse has fled the barn and then trying to rationalise not needing a
13 >> horse.
14 >
15 > I believe I don't need a horse. I don't even have a barn either.
16
17 To carry the analogy, udev forcing a /usr merge is much like "We don't
18 need a horse, so we don't think anyone else should have one, either.
19 If they need a horse, they can use one of those newfangled tractors."
20
21 Personally, I think the original reasoning behind udev's move was
22 flawed. When I read it, it sounded like "we can't control whether or
23 not anyone else puts boot-required packages into /usr before /usr has
24 been mounted. In order to cover for those packages, we'll force the
25 issue by putting ourselves there."
26
27 I think that any package which puts boot-required things into a path
28 which may not be available at boot time is inherently broken, and
29 needs to be fixed. There's absolutely nothing about the move which
30 both accounts for boot-required packages requiring access to /var
31 _and_ a sysadmin's need to have /var as a special mount point.
32
33 To me, it looks a lot like what once was / is now expected to be an
34 initramfs, which I find extraordinarily problematic, for the following
35 reasons:
36
37 1) There are no truly mature tools for automatically generating and
38 installing an initramfs based on system requirements. Canek likes to
39 recommend dracut, which still isn't marked stable. I've gotten stable
40 genkernel to work reasonably, but its error reporting is terrible.
41 2) There's no good means for applying software and security updates to
42 an initramfs. If having an initramfs is to be considered the new
43 normal, there should be some means of updating it as part of routine
44 system updates.
45 3) With an initramfs and the tools to generate it, we have more moving
46 parts were previously there were few.
49 :wq