From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:48:13
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:40:12 +0100
4 >> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:35:58 -0500
7 >>> Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>> > All the arguments for keeping /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, and /usr/sbin
9 >>> > separated are really instances of the Chewbacca defense [1]. They
10 >>> > just don't make any sense.
11 >>>
12 >>> All the arguments for changing things are just realising that the
13 >>> horse has fled the barn and then trying to rationalise not needing a
14 >>> horse.
15 >>
16 >> I believe I don't need a horse. I don't even have a barn either.
17 >
18 > To carry the analogy, udev forcing a /usr merge is much like "We don't
19 > need a horse, so we don't think anyone else should have one, either.
20 > If they need a horse, they can use one of those newfangled tractors."
21 >
22 > Personally, I think the original reasoning behind udev's move was
23 > flawed. When I read it, it sounded like "we can't control whether or
24 > not anyone else puts boot-required packages into /usr before /usr has
25 > been mounted. In order to cover for those packages, we'll force the
26 > issue by putting ourselves there."
27 >
28 > I think that any package which puts boot-required things into a path
29 > which may not be available at boot time is inherently broken, and
30 > needs to be fixed. There's absolutely nothing about the move which
31 > both accounts for boot-required packages requiring access to /var
32 > _and_ a sysadmin's need to have /var as a special mount point.
33 >
34 > To me, it looks a lot like what once was / is now expected to be an
35 > initramfs, which I find extraordinarily problematic, for the following
36 > reasons:
37 >
38 > 1) There are no truly mature tools for automatically generating and
39 > installing an initramfs based on system requirements. Canek likes to
40 > recommend dracut, which still isn't marked stable. I've gotten stable
41 > genkernel to work reasonably, but its error reporting is terrible.
42 > 2) There's no good means for applying software and security updates to
43 > an initramfs. If having an initramfs is to be considered the new
44 > normal, there should be some means of updating it as part of routine
45 > system updates.
46
47 Debian uses initramfs-tools...
48
49 > 3) With an initramfs and the tools to generate it, we have more moving
50 > parts were previously there were few.
51 >
52 > --
53 > :wq