From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:54:33
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 [snip]
5
6 >> To me, it looks a lot like what once was / is now expected to be an
7 >> initramfs, which I find extraordinarily problematic, for the following
8 >> reasons:
9 >>
10 >> 1) There are no truly mature tools for automatically generating and
11 >> installing an initramfs based on system requirements. Canek likes to
12 >> recommend dracut, which still isn't marked stable. I've gotten stable
13 >> genkernel to work reasonably, but its error reporting is terrible.
14 >> 2) There's no good means for applying software and security updates to
15 >> an initramfs. If having an initramfs is to be considered the new
16 >> normal, there should be some means of updating it as part of routine
17 >> system updates.
18 >
19 > Debian uses initramfs-tools...
20
21 AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
22 Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
25 :wq