From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:06:47
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
3 > Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
4
5 We don't even update kernels as part of the regular update process,
6 let alone initramfs systems.
7
8 In general you update them together.
9
10 The only issue I could see is if problems arise if you have a
11 different version of udev in your initramfs than on your system. I
12 don't know if that actually causes problems. For the most part after
13 the system is booted the initramfs is done its job.
14
15 If some package did need a kernel/initramfs/etc to be updated it
16 should be the subject of news or an ewarn unless it becomes routine
17 practice. I don't think we want the system to start touching these
18 things without operator intervention unless we make it really
19 bulletproof like they do on big distros (the only reason they can is
20 they have one-size-fits-all kernels and initramfs designs).
21
22 Rich