From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:19:52
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
4 >> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
5 >
6 > We don't even update kernels as part of the regular update process,
7 > let alone initramfs systems.
8 >
9 > In general you update them together.
10 >
11 > The only issue I could see is if problems arise if you have a
12 > different version of udev in your initramfs than on your system. I
13 > don't know if that actually causes problems. For the most part after
14 > the system is booted the initramfs is done its job.
15
16 The most widely touted benefit I've heard for initramfs is its
17 capability to ease system recovery in case, e.g. a critical filesystem
18 refuses to mount. With recovery roles come recovery tools, which
19 quickly extends network-aware tools and a security attack surface.
20
21 Hence why I tend to feel that if an initramfs is going to become the
22 go-to solution for bootstrapping userland, it's important to consider
23 the difficulties of keeping the packed tools up-to-date; it's not just
24 a bootstrap tool, it's also the first recovery option a sysadmin
25 faces.
28 > If some package did need a kernel/initramfs/etc to be updated it
29 > should be the subject of news or an ewarn unless it becomes routine
30 > practice. I don't think we want the system to start touching these
31 > things without operator intervention unless we make it really
32 > bulletproof like they do on big distros (the only reason they can is
33 > they have one-size-fits-all kernels and initramfs designs).
34
35 Absolutely.
38 :wq