From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 04:23:30
1 Michael Mol posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:18:35 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
6 >>> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
7 >>
8 >> We don't even update kernels as part of the regular update process, let
9 >> alone initramfs systems.
10 >>
11 >> In general you update them together.
12 >>
13 >> The only issue I could see is if problems arise if you have a different
14 >> version of udev in your initramfs than on your system. I don't know if
15 >> that actually causes problems. For the most part after the system is
16 >> booted the initramfs is done its job.
17 >
18 > The most widely touted benefit I've heard for initramfs is its
19 > capability to ease system recovery in case, e.g. a critical filesystem
20 > refuses to mount. With recovery roles come recovery tools, which quickly
21 > extends network-aware tools and a security attack surface.
22 >
23 > Hence why I tend to feel that if an initramfs is going to become the
24 > go-to solution for bootstrapping userland, it's important to consider
25 > the difficulties of keeping the packed tools up-to-date; it's not just a
26 > bootstrap tool, it's also the first recovery option a sysadmin faces.
27
28 As others have stated, that might be /a/ widely touted benefit, but the
29 reason for initr* being there in the first place, is to solve the
30 otherwise chicken/egg issue of having the tools/modules necessary to
31 mount a filesystem, /on/ that filesystem, since now they're on the initr*
32 as well, and that is maintained with the kernel.
33
34 But meanwhile, recovery /is/ /a/ widely touted benefit, which really
35 presents its own problem, in the form of a choice:
36
37 a) automatically update the initr* and get the security benefits but risk
38 breaking the recovery tools when they break with an update to the main
39 system,
40
41 OR:
42
43 b) don't automatically update the initr* in ordered to keep a known/
44 tested-working first recovery mechanism, but at the cost of potentially
45 unfixed security-vulns in the initr* that were already fixed on the main
46 system.
47
48 Of course (b) is the usual case on an initr* (unless it's one-size-fits-
49 all automatically updated by the distro), due to static linking. So
50 security is already taking second priority to a known-working recovery
51 mechanism, and updating the initr* on a user-configured/managed distro
52 like gentoo pretty much must remain in that user-admin domain. There's
53 simply no way around it, without going the one-size-fits-all-distro-
54 configured route, which by accepted definition isn't palatable to
55 gentooers, or they'd be using something else.
56
57 So IMO, updating the initr* is and must remain user-admin domain, not
58 something gentoo really can worry about, other than to the extent of
59 making those updates as easy and stupid-mistake-proof as can reasonably
60 be done while still placing the responsibility of actually configuring
61 and maintaining the initr* with the user-admin.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman