From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:34:31
1 On 07/19/12 03:05, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> AFAIK, neither genkernel nor dracut were expected to get tied to the
4 >> Gentoo update process. Has that changed?
5 > We don't even update kernels as part of the regular update process,
6 > let alone initramfs systems.
7 >
8 > In general you update them together.
9 >
10 > The only issue I could see is if problems arise if you have a
11 > different version of udev in your initramfs than on your system. I
12 > don't know if that actually causes problems. For the most part after
13 > the system is booted the initramfs is done its job.
14 >
15 > If some package did need a kernel/initramfs/etc to be updated it
16 > should be the subject of news or an ewarn unless it becomes routine
17 > practice. I don't think we want the system to start touching these
18 > things without operator intervention unless we make it really
19 > bulletproof like they do on big distros (the only reason they can is
20 > they have one-size-fits-all kernels and initramfs designs).
23 And here's an epic failure mode waiting to happen - what if the kernel
24 is not stored in /boot ?
25
26 I can think of at least two common setups where that happens. One is
27 virtual machines (Xen for example usually stores the kernel outside the
28 guest filesystem), the other is systems with full-disk encryption where
29 you don't have a bootloader on the local disk.
30
31 Ah, who would have guessed that there are linux installs that are not
32 single-disk desktops!