From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:26:52
1 To back up a bit. I package Java why do I care about Python and Ruby?
2
3 1. Its annoying as a user to fiddle with targets, short of doing a wild
4 card and having multiple versions.
5
6 2. Unlike most other languages. Java has support for other languages.
7 Running PHP, Python, and Ruby on the JVM.
8
9 This java package depends on Ruby
10 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/tree/master/dev-java/jruby
11
12 Which in working with latest version of Ruby 2.4.x there was an API
13 change, which broke a Spring dependency
14 https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/pull/1344
15 https://github.com/Obsidian-StudiosInc/os-xtoo/blob/master/dev-java/spring-context/files/jrubyexception.patch
16
17 This java package depends on Python
18 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/tree/master/dev-java/jython
19
20 While other languages package just themselves. Not sure I have ever
21 seen a perl, php, python or ruby package that supports Java. As in
22 running Java code on perl, php, python, or ruby. At best its optional
23 Java support.
24
25 Java is a different beast, and people run those languages in Java...
26 And others, Groovy, Scala, Clojure, etc
29 William L. Thomson Jr.