From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: handling the "uucp" group
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 20:32:22
1 >>>>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > First, baselayout has had the "dialout" group since 2015, so the
4 > longterm fix imo is to possibly use that instead of the uucp group.
5 > What would it take to make that happen, or are we stuck with the
6 > uucp group forever?
7
8 There was an old discussion on this in bug 108249 [1]. The decision
9 back in 2005 was to use the "uucp" group (because apparently that was
10 what both Debian and Fedora did at the time), but IIRC it was pretty
11 much arbitrary.
12
13 So I don't see a reason why we couldn't use "dialout" instead.
14
15 Ulrich
18 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/108249