From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 10:29:57
1 On Sun, 15 May 2016 08:40:39 +0900
2 Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday, May 14, 2016 9:54:11 AM JST Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > On Friday, May 13, 2016 4:52:09 PM JST Ian Delaney wrote:
7 > > >> On Sat, 7 May 2016 23:25:58 +0200
8 > > >>
9 > > >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
10 > > >> > Do you seriously expect this code to work? How about testing? Or
11 > > >> > reading diffs before committing?
12 > > >
13 > > > Absolutely nothing wrong was said here. Obviously the code was not tested
14 > > > and Michal pointed that out very plainly.
15 > >
16 > > It is actually possible to communicate both plainly and politely at
17 > > the same time. This does not require sacrificing any commitment to
18 > > quality at all. Really the only downside is having more of an
19 > > appearance of professionalism.
20 >
21 > Please enlighten me as to what was impolite here? The strong language of
22 > "seriously" or definitively stating that the individual did not perform the
23 > necessary QA actions before committing? Both of which are completely called
24 > for and appropriate. No vulgarity, insults, or demeaning words were used.
25 > How would you have responded professionally?
26
27 Since the anti-productivity of this thread is getting impressively high
28 even for Gentoo standards, I'd like to point out a few things.
29
30 It was impolite. It was supposed to be. Not offensive but impolite. It
31 ain't cool to get responses like this but it ain't cool to break stuff
32 like this either.
33
34 For those who don't have a broader view, it wasn't a single commit but
35 a followup to a commit adding EAPI=6 support to the eclass -- clearly
36 untested. I didn't bother complaining about the first one since issues
37 would clearly pop up if someone actually tried to use the eclass
38 in EAPI=6. However, the second commit actually introduced a syntax
39 error that broke all the ebuilds, including stable and caused metadata
40 generation failure. This is real bad.
41
42 Of course, it could have been worse. It looks like no ebuilds with
43 EAPI=6 'support' were committed following the eclass. Which is a good
44 sign that some testing eventually occurred. However, is it that much of
45 an effort to test eclass changes using ebuilds *before* committing it?
46 It wasn't that hard even in times of CVS (esp. that we're talking about
47 separate directories), and it is even easier in times of git.
48
49 I don't really see the benefit of whole of this discussion. He
50 committed a bad thing, I shouted at him, end of story. If you want to
51 take it to comrel, just do it. However, discussing whether it was right
52 or wrong is really unproductive here.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny
57 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>