From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:53:03
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
> I looked into this 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't feasible unless you were > on an extremely high-speed, low-latency network, beyond what was > typically accessible at the time outside of universities and LANs. Could > be worth exploring again now that 25-100 mbps connections are becoming > more common.
I tried messing around with this with Amazon EC2. The problem was that due to latency I only really saw the benefit for VERY high levels of parallelization (think -j25+).. However, make isn't actually "distcc-aware" so it just runs 25 jobs of anything in parallel. So, anytime a makefile launched a ton of java or python jobs the host ground to a halt as it wasn't distributed and it was way more than the host could handle (especially java - which swapped like there was no tomorrow). If somebody were to do a distcc-ng for a large cluster one of the problems to solve would be having it not run jobs in parallel if it couldn't actually distribute them. Rich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>