From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:53:03
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
2 > I looked into this 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't feasible unless you were
3 > on an extremely high-speed, low-latency network, beyond what was
4 > typically accessible at the time outside of universities and LANs. Could
5 > be worth exploring again now that 25-100 mbps connections are becoming
6 > more common.
7
8 I tried messing around with this with Amazon EC2. The problem was
9 that due to latency I only really saw the benefit for VERY high levels
10 of parallelization (think -j25+).. However, make isn't actually
11 "distcc-aware" so it just runs 25 jobs of anything in parallel. So,
12 anytime a makefile launched a ton of java or python jobs the host
13 ground to a halt as it wasn't distributed and it was way more than the
14 host could handle (especially java - which swapped like there was no
15 tomorrow).
16
17 If somebody were to do a distcc-ng for a large cluster one of the
18 problems to solve would be having it not run jobs in parallel if it
19 couldn't actually distribute them.
20
21 Rich