From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 04:44:21
On 10:29 Wed 14 Dec     , Alec Warner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Gaurav Saxena <grvsaxena419@×××××.com> wrote: > > Hello all, > > I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I > > would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you > > please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as > > well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures , > > operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think  there might be > > projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them. > > The only idea I can think of for parallel computing / distributed > systems would be at the build level. > > distcc-ng, a farm of user-controlled machines that compile your code > in a p2p fashion.
I looked into this 6 or 7 years ago. It wasn't feasible unless you were on an extremely high-speed, low-latency network, beyond what was typically accessible at the time outside of universities and LANs. Could be worth exploring again now that 25-100 mbps connections are becoming more common. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer Gentoo Linux Blog:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>