From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:57:01
1 On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On 10/02/2014 18:05, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > >> Removing support for it from a package manager should of course
5 > >> > happen much later (well after it is banned).
6 > > The package manager must be able to uninstall old packages, which
7 > > essentially means that support for old EAPIs cannot be removed.
10 > I feel this aspect needs to be limited, no user can reasonably expect
11 > Gentoo devs to retain support in the package manager for obsolete
12 > features indefinitely. We also shouldn't be too hasty in removing the
13 > support, but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, a point of no
14 > return. It's probably measured in years, my thumb suck guess is 3 years
15 > after a given EAPI is finally obsoleted.
18 Why is that unreasonable?
19
20 -A
25 > As a real example - I know someone who proudly shows off a Gentoo host
26 > with a 2004 profile. Can he reasonably expect portage to still work
27 > flawlessly 10 years later? I feel no, luckily he agrees with me.
28 >
29 > --
30 > Alan McKinnon
31 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com