From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Tightening EAPI rules
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:26:26
1 On 10/02/2014 18:05, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >> Removing support for it from a package manager should of course
3 >> > happen much later (well after it is banned).
4 > The package manager must be able to uninstall old packages, which
5 > essentially means that support for old EAPIs cannot be removed.
8 I feel this aspect needs to be limited, no user can reasonably expect
9 Gentoo devs to retain support in the package manager for obsolete
10 features indefinitely. We also shouldn't be too hasty in removing the
11 support, but there has to be a cut-off point somewhere, a point of no
12 return. It's probably measured in years, my thumb suck guess is 3 years
13 after a given EAPI is finally obsoleted.
14
15 As a real example - I know someone who proudly shows off a Gentoo host
16 with a 2004 profile. Can he reasonably expect portage to still work
17 flawlessly 10 years later? I feel no, luckily he agrees with me.
20 Alan McKinnon
21 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com