From: Stuart Longland <redhatter@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] X11 on Lemote Fulong (Loongson 2E) -- 'lm2e' local USE flag RFC
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 06:44:42
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On 13:23 Thu 31 Jul , Stuart Longland wrote:
3 >> An alternative however, I'd like to propose is the addition of a 'lm2e'
4 >> local USE flag to the affected ebuilds
5 >
6 > Stuart,
7 > I'm glad to hear you've made progress on this and gotten things working!
8 >
9 > As soon as you get this code upstream, I will be happy to add these
10 > patches. I'm not interested in adding patches that aren't upstream yet
11 > to any X packages.
12
13 No worries, is there any specific channel ideal for doing this? The
14 patches have been kicking around in overlays for a while, it's just
15 recently that I've decided to do anything about them.
16
17 Ultimately going upstream with them was an option I was considering once
18 I knew they wouldn't break other MIPS systems. At this stage, I haven't
19 tried.
20
21 > I looked at the xf86-video-ati patch in the loongson overlay and it's
22 > huge. It's clearly GPL-licensed, presumably from the GATOS project, and
23 > that makes it unacceptable for upstream. I'm presuming it is straight
24 > from the GATOS folks and thus is just adding TV-out.
25
26 IIRC it works without that patch, but I may have included it to try and
27 get hardware OpenGL going. (it *almost* works... Quake II runs for 5
28 seconds before the video card dies. During this time, frame rates are
29 good.)
30
31 > The libdrm and xorg-server patches look more reasonable and shouldn't be
32 > terribly problematic to get upstream.
33
34 The critical one is xorg-server for general usage. I'll have to see if
35 there's a newer patch available.
36
37 Regards,
38 --
39 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter) .'''.
40 Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
42 http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'
43
44 I haven't lost my mind...
45 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.