From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Per-category and per-package eclasses
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:50:03
1 On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:49:28AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:47:03 +0100
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:27:12 +0300 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
6 > > wrote:
7 > > | Dan Meltzer wrote:
8 > > | > I can see the use for a category one, but I can see no point for a
9 > > | > package-local one, if you're going to have it specific for one
10 > > | > package, why not just put it in the ebuild, and have no eclass at
11 > > | > all?
12 > > |
13 > > | Actually I'd say the opposite: There is definitely a use for
14 > > | package-local eclasses, however I don't see the point for
15 > > | category-local eclasses (especially as that would very funny to get
16 > > | it working). Example for package-local eclasses? Whenever you define
17 > > | a function in an ebuild that isn't version specific.
18 > >
19 > > Category-specific: app-vim/eclass/vim-plugin.eclass
20 > > Package-specific: any package with a non-trivial build system that
21 > > doesn't change too much between versions.
22 > >
23 > > Making it work is 'easy', just make inherit first try /cat/pkg/eclass/
24 > > then /cat/eclass/ then finally /eclass/ .
25 One thing I'm not getting out of this, is why y'all can't just abuse
26 the looser grouped layout of eclasses under g33, and implement it
27 within that dir...
28 ~brian
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list