From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Per-category and per-package eclasses
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:45:43
1 On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:47:03 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:27:12 +0300 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > | Dan Meltzer wrote:
7 > | > I can see the use for a category one, but I can see no point for a
8 > | > package-local one, if you're going to have it specific for one
9 > | > package, why not just put it in the ebuild, and have no eclass at
10 > | > all?
11 > |
12 > | Actually I'd say the opposite: There is definitely a use for
13 > | package-local eclasses, however I don't see the point for
14 > | category-local eclasses (especially as that would very funny to get
15 > | it working). Example for package-local eclasses? Whenever you define
16 > | a function in an ebuild that isn't version specific.
17 >
18 > Category-specific: app-vim/eclass/vim-plugin.eclass
19 > Package-specific: any package with a non-trivial build system that
20 > doesn't change too much between versions.
21 >
22 > Making it work is 'easy', just make inherit first try /cat/pkg/eclass/
23 > then /cat/eclass/ then finally /eclass/ .
24
25 well, /cat/eclass will bring us a lot of fun if implemented ;)
26
27 Marius
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.