From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Per-category and per-package eclasses
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:47:21
1 On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:27:12 +0300 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Dan Meltzer wrote:
4 | > I can see the use for a category one, but I can see no point for a
5 | > package-local one, if you're going to have it specific for one
6 | > package, why not just put it in the ebuild, and have no eclass at
7 | > all?
8 |
9 | Actually I'd say the opposite: There is definitely a use for
10 | package-local eclasses, however I don't see the point for
11 | category-local eclasses (especially as that would very funny to get
12 | it working). Example for package-local eclasses? Whenever you define a
13 | function in an ebuild that isn't version specific.
14
15 Category-specific: app-vim/eclass/vim-plugin.eclass
16 Package-specific: any package with a non-trivial build system that
17 doesn't change too much between versions.
18
19 Making it work is 'easy', just make inherit first try /cat/pkg/eclass/
20 then /cat/eclass/ then finally /eclass/ .
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm