From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:03:29
2 > I think that summarizing "IRC" is insane.
3
4 and there is no need for it either. as stated elsewhere much of what is
5 going on on IRC is 'goofing off' - for which IRC is excellent. (heck - i
6 should goof off more often :-)
7
8 i dont mind the day-to-day work stuff going on on IRC exclusively - but
9 when discussions about the future directions of a project and the decision
10 making process are held on IRC exclusively, then that is not helpful in
11 attracting new blood. for one because there is no history but also because
12 they may not use IRC that much.
13
14 > Remember we barely got
15 > summaries of council meetings (which are at a fixed time and date)
16 > until we got a secretary devoted explicitly to that task.
17
18 > Maybe more
19 > teams should take up the meeting model; that way non-IRC folks can
20 > either be on IRC for meeting times only, or peruse the meeting notes
21 > afterwards if they are interested in what happened.
22
23 yeah - the kde team is leading the way here. granted - this model may not
24 work for everybody...
25
26 regards
27 Thilo