From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:53:01
1 On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM, AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 19:06 Wed 11 Mar , Thilo Bangert wrote:
5 >>>>>
6 >>>>> the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
7 >>>>> IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize more
8 >>>>> of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
9 >>
10 >> I think IRC helps to build a more tightly knit community and, because of
11 >> this, is very important to Gentoo. The less close we are as a community, the
12 >> more free we feel to be hostile because we don't see the folks on the other
13 >> end of the big tube as real people. It's much like a technique that
14 >> militaries use during wars to de-personalize the enemy, except with the
15 >> Internet, we start that way and have to apply effort to grow closer.
18 > While it may be tight nit, there's the danger that it's so tight no one else
19 > can get in, so to speak.
20 >
21 > I don't think anyone's saying anything like "no more IRC". What I at least
22 > am advocating is that what goes on on IRC gets summarized somewhere in
23 > addition. As I said before, this not only helps keep a "log" of what goes on
24 > for "future generations", but also allows others (users and devs who don't
25 > have time to follow everything) to look in and follow what the devs are
26 > doing more easily.
27
28 I think that summarizing "IRC" is insane. Remember we barely got
29 summaries of council meetings (which are at a fixed time and date)
30 until we got a secretary devoted explicitly to that task. Maybe more
31 teams should take up the meeting model; that way non-IRC folks can
32 either be on IRC for meeting times only, or peruse the meeting notes
33 afterwards if they are interested in what happened.
36 > I think that this would ultimately help make Gentoo development more visible
37 > and more accessible, ultimately leading to an increased conversion of users
38 > to contributors, if not users to devs.
39 >
40 > AllenJB