From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [last rites] virtual/x11
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:24:08
1 On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 19:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Breaking the tree, and thus end user systems, is not an acceptable
4 > > way of getting people to fix things. It doesn't make any difference
5 > > to developers who haven't fixed their packages, only to users.
6 >
7 > It's acceptable to me. I'd rather see us make progress than postpone
8 > changes for months while devs bicker about changes to be made. That
9 > would not be the case if say, people had the balls to just fix things
10 > in the tree. However we have this fun system where you have to
11 > incessantly contact the maintainer in order to get anything done lest
12 > they cry and moan and run to the council because 'you touched their
13 > precious package'.
14
15 Well, if it's reached the "take drastic action" stage (which, let's
16 face it, it has at this point), why not go and fix the tree? It's a
17 better solution than breaking it, and anyone who moans now isn't going
18 to get any sympathy from anyone. Get QA to issue an official
19 proclamation first if you'd like to legitimise it completely -- the
20 Council has already given them authority to do that...
23 Ciaran McCreesh