From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [last rites] virtual/x11
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:10:57
1 > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 03:45:38 +0200
2 > arfrever <arfrever@××.pl> wrote:
3 >> "Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <msterret@××××.com> napisaÅ&#8218;:
4 >> > I commented this out of package.mask. x11-libs/fox-1.2.6-r2 still
5 >> > uses it. Need to fix that up before masking it.
6 >>
7 >> These not numerous packages still using virtual/x11 can be fixed
8 >> after masking it. Almost nobody uses them. Masking virtual/x11 could
9 >> urge some developers to fix these packages.
10 >
11 > Breaking the tree, and thus end user systems, is not an acceptable way
12 > of getting people to fix things. It doesn't make any difference to
13 > developers who haven't fixed their packages, only to users.
14
15 It's acceptable to me. I'd rather see us make progress than postpone
16 changes for months while devs bicker about changes to be made. That would
17 not be the case if say, people had the balls to just fix things in the
18 tree. However we have this fun system where you have to incessantly
19 contact the maintainer in order to get anything done lest they cry and
20 moan and run to the council because 'you touched their precious package'.
21
22 -Alec
23
24 PS: For those non-native speakers, portions of my reply were tongue-in-cheek.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list