From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:17:04
1 AllenJB wrote:
2 > Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 10 March 2009 14:15:36 Thilo Bangert wrote:
4 >>>> Bugs aren't a good way to keep in touch with developers, that's what
5 >>>> irc is for.
6 >>> while i dont necessarily think, that bugzi is the best way to stay in
7 >>> contact with me, it surely is a better way than IRC - on which i am
8 >>> close
9 >>> to never.
10 >>>
11 >>> the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
12 >>> IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize
13 >>> more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
14 >>>
15 >>> kind regards
16 >>> Thilo
17 >>
18 >> To be honest , I don't agree with that. Being around on irc is
19 >> quite helpful to get direct feedback from users and fix bugs before
20 >> they hit more users. This is a good way to reduce the amount of bugs
21 >> that hit bugzilla.
22 >
23 > While IRC is undoubtedly a useful communication medium, it is pretty
24 > much a "here and now" thing. I believe that Gentoo would benefit quite a
25 > lot if teams started using more permanent forms of communication such as
26 > blogs, wikis or websites. Not only would this allow the current set of
27 > developers within a team to know what one another are up to and what
28 > needs to be done, but it would also allow those who are not so
29 > intimately involved (both other devs, contributors and users) to keep up
30 > to date and contribute as well as leaving something for future
31 > developers to be able to look back on and see what options /
32 > improvements / etc were considered / done in the past.
33 >
34 > I recently wrote a blog post that went somewhat along these lines:
35 > http://allenjb.me.uk/blog/why-only-think-about-projects-for-gsoc
36 >
37 > As someone who's very interested in getting involved in Gentoo
38 > Development, I often find it hard to gather information on what projects
39 > / people are up to, what's currently going on and what the plans for the
40 > future are.
43 > AllenJB
46 Just wanted to quickly add mailing lists to the explicitly mentioned
47 venues for improved communication.
48
49 As a quick example, I'm interested in the PR / Newsletter side of
50 Gentoo, but I find it very hard to keep up-to-date. I recently learned
51 that there's a new blog-like version of the newsletter in development
52 but I've heard nothing else about it and searching hasn't turned up
53 anything.
54
55 While I am on the gmn irc channel, I don't have time to read through all
56 the backlogs for relvent information. I am also on the gentoo-pr mailing
57 list (among many others, as well as checking on the lists via gmane) and
58 it's basically completely silent. I'm currently waiting to catch one of
59 two devs who might be able to give me more information on IRC.
60
61 To all eyes looking from the outside in, unless they happen across the
62 one forum thread I did, the newsletter is dead and nothing is being done
63 about it, which gives a poor view of the state of affairs within Gentoo
64 Development.
65
66 To take the bus analogy to this, if these 2 developers are hit by a bus,
67 then who knows what's currently going on with the newsletter and where
68 all the resources are?
69
70 I have said it before and I will say it again, yes the newsletter may be
71 a current weak point for Gentoo, but it's a very obvious one because
72 it's the one that's visible to everyone in the community. I still think
73 my points are valid for any area of Gentoo development tho.
74
75 AllenJB