From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devs on IRC (was :Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support ))
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:06:14
1 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 10 March 2009 14:15:36 Thilo Bangert wrote:
3 >>> Bugs aren't a good way to keep in touch with developers, that's what
4 >>> irc is for.
5 >> while i dont necessarily think, that bugzi is the best way to stay in
6 >> contact with me, it surely is a better way than IRC - on which i am close
7 >> to never.
8 >>
9 >> the presumption seems to be, that as a dev one has to be available via
10 >> IRC. it has long been my feeling that Gentoo as a project could realize
11 >> more of its potential by better integrating people who dont do IRC.
12 >>
13 >> kind regards
14 >> Thilo
15 >
16 > To be honest , I don't agree with that. Being around on irc is quite helpful
17 > to get direct feedback from users and fix bugs before they hit more users.
18 > This is a good way to reduce the amount of bugs that hit bugzilla.
19
20 While IRC is undoubtedly a useful communication medium, it is pretty
21 much a "here and now" thing. I believe that Gentoo would benefit quite a
22 lot if teams started using more permanent forms of communication such as
23 blogs, wikis or websites. Not only would this allow the current set of
24 developers within a team to know what one another are up to and what
25 needs to be done, but it would also allow those who are not so
26 intimately involved (both other devs, contributors and users) to keep up
27 to date and contribute as well as leaving something for future
28 developers to be able to look back on and see what options /
29 improvements / etc were considered / done in the past.
30
31 I recently wrote a blog post that went somewhat along these lines:
32 http://allenjb.me.uk/blog/why-only-think-about-projects-for-gsoc
33
34 As someone who's very interested in getting involved in Gentoo
35 Development, I often find it hard to gather information on what projects
36 / people are up to, what's currently going on and what the plans for the
37 future are.
40 AllenJB