From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 08:22:03
1 Hi Gordon,
2
3 On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 23:37:39 -0600 Gordon Pettey wrote:
4
5 >On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
6 >> Andreas K. Huettel posted on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 02:12:47 +0100 as
7 >> excerpted:
8 >>> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 18:16:33 CET schrieb Vincent-Xavier
9 >>> JUMEL:
10 >>>> Le 2018-01-10 10:53, Michał Górny a écrit :
11 >>>> > Last I checked, Gentoo was a Linux distribution. However, some
12 >>>> > people prefer to turn it into open discussion forum that has
13 >>>> > nothing to do with making a distribution.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> No it has. Giving power to a subset of users, denying interaction
16 >>>> with future contributors unless they enroll is the eaxct way to
17 >>>> kill Gentoo as a community !
18 >>>
19 >>> We wouldn't have needed to go this far if not for a few outside
20 >>> trolls who
21 >>> * keep pushing their personal agenda in endless threads,
22 >>> * confuse their own inability to contribute with being a mistreated
23 >>> underdog,
24 >>> * and keep commenting opinionated on technical things they
25 >>> plainly have no clue about (while whining when are told they sprout
26 >>> bulls##t).
27 >>>
28 >>> We do not have a problem with "future contributors". I wager those
29 >>> will rather increase in numbers once the list spam is gone.
32 >> This has been my biggest concern about the whole thing:
33 >>
34 >> Are we going to be nipping future devs in the bud because there's
35 >> now too many hoops to jump thru too early, and it's simply not worth
36 >> the trouble when they can (and will) go elsewhere where it's easier,
37 >>
38 >> OR
39 >>
40 >> Are we going to be lowering the unwelcoming noise, confusion and
41 >> name- calling threshold and making the community more welcoming for
42 >> those who have a serious interest, clearing out some of the stuff
43 >> that could otherwise discourage them.
46 >> It's pretty clear that council believes it's the latter, at least to
47 >> the degree that they're willing to try it for a time, effectively a
48 >> wager of sorts, but I don't believe anyone can honestly say what the
49 >> real effect one way or the other will be until it /is/ tried.
52 >> Personally, my viewpoint is that while over the last year or so there
53 >> were some 1-2 level frustrating posters on a 5-point scale, it's
54 >> nothing compared to the level-4 (direct name calling, just short of
55 >> physical threats that justify getting the law involved) stuff that
56 >> I've seen on this list in the some-years-distant past. In my mind,
57 >> unquestionably that level-4 stuff required action, and it was taken.
58 >>
59 >> The recent stuff seems so much milder in comparison that IMO it's
60 >> hard to see what the hubbub is all about, but there's certainly an
61 >> argument to be made that the previous experience simply desensitized
62 >> our detection meters, and that were it not for that, the recent
63 >> stuff would seem rather more shocking and horrible than it does, and
64 >> that even if it's /less/ horrible, it's horrible /enough/ that it
65 >> remains unacceptable in a civilized society, and if we /do/ accept
66 >> it, we're effectively pushing others that won't, out.
67 >
68 >Given the quantity of relevant problem-mail that came from
69 >@gentoo.org, maybe the glass house dwellers should be careful where
70 >they aim their stones. I considered taking the dev quiz and everything
71 >instead of just posting a few ebuilds on bugzilla years ago, but the
72 >elitist, as Alex labelled it, voices from @gentoo.org are what made me
73 >decide not to, and my decision keeps getting reinforced. That
74 >impression has been there for years, and it's not getting better by
75 >this.
78 very sad you got that impression. And unfortunately, I cannot even
79 wholeheartedly deny that this is true.
80 Given the fact that we are severely understaffed when it comes to
81 active developers, I hope you will reconsider your decision at some
82 point and start doing the quizzes.
83
84 Kind regards
87 Lars Wendler
88 Gentoo package maintainer
89 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39