From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 05:38:26
1 On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:22 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Andreas K. Huettel posted on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 02:12:47 +0100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2018, 18:16:33 CET schrieb Vincent-Xavier JUMEL:
5 >>> Le 2018-01-10 10:53, Michał Górny a écrit :
6 >>> > Last I checked, Gentoo was a Linux distribution. However, some people
7 >>> > prefer to turn it into open discussion forum that has nothing to do
8 >>> > with making a distribution.
9 >>>
10 >>> No it has. Giving power to a subset of users, denying interaction with
11 >>> future contributors unless they enroll is the eaxct way to kill Gentoo
12 >>> as a community !
13 >>
14 >> We wouldn't have needed to go this far if not for a few outside trolls
15 >> who
16 >> * keep pushing their personal agenda in endless threads,
17 >> * confuse their own inability to contribute with being a mistreated
18 >> underdog,
19 >> * and keep commenting opinionated on technical things they
20 >> plainly have no clue about (while whining when are told they sprout
21 >> bulls##t).
22 >>
23 >> We do not have a problem with "future contributors". I wager those will
24 >> rather increase in numbers once the list spam is gone.
27 > This has been my biggest concern about the whole thing:
28 >
29 > Are we going to be nipping future devs in the bud because there's now too
30 > many hoops to jump thru too early, and it's simply not worth the trouble
31 > when they can (and will) go elsewhere where it's easier,
32 >
33 > OR
34 >
35 > Are we going to be lowering the unwelcoming noise, confusion and name-
36 > calling threshold and making the community more welcoming for those who
37 > have a serious interest, clearing out some of the stuff that could
38 > otherwise discourage them.
41 > It's pretty clear that council believes it's the latter, at least to the
42 > degree that they're willing to try it for a time, effectively a wager of
43 > sorts, but I don't believe anyone can honestly say what the real effect
44 > one way or the other will be until it /is/ tried.
47 > Personally, my viewpoint is that while over the last year or so there
48 > were some 1-2 level frustrating posters on a 5-point scale, it's nothing
49 > compared to the level-4 (direct name calling, just short of physical
50 > threats that justify getting the law involved) stuff that I've seen on
51 > this list in the some-years-distant past. In my mind, unquestionably
52 > that level-4 stuff required action, and it was taken.
53 >
54 > The recent stuff seems so much milder in comparison that IMO it's hard to
55 > see what the hubbub is all about, but there's certainly an argument to be
56 > made that the previous experience simply desensitized our detection
57 > meters, and that were it not for that, the recent stuff would seem rather
58 > more shocking and horrible than it does, and that even if it's /less/
59 > horrible, it's horrible /enough/ that it remains unacceptable in a
60 > civilized society, and if we /do/ accept it, we're effectively pushing
61 > others that won't, out.
62
63 Given the quantity of relevant problem-mail that came from
64 @gentoo.org, maybe the glass house dwellers should be careful where
65 they aim their stones. I considered taking the dev quiz and everything
66 instead of just posting a few ebuilds on bugzilla years ago, but the
67 elitist, as Alex labelled it, voices from @gentoo.org are what made me
68 decide not to, and my decision keeps getting reinforced. That
69 impression has been there for years, and it's not getting better by
70 this.