From: Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:39:46
1 Jane Lee wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sunday, February 27, 2005, at 03:13PM, Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>This thread brings up a very good point. There are little children
6 >>using our distribution, and they should not be exposed to dirty words
7 >>such as the one being disputed in this thread. There are other packages
8 >>that are also questionable too. "BitchX" comes to mind, and "Evolution"
9 >>is on the top of my die-package-die list. We certainly wouldn't want
10 >>little children asking about that, now would we?
11 >>
12 >>In light of the above, I suggest that in the interest of being sure not
13 >>to offend anyone, we remove the three aforementioned packages and any
14 >>others that might be offensive. It's not censorship, it's decency.
17 > I'm sorry. I'm sure I'd be on the younger side of all the people actually reading all the stuff that goes on in this mailing list, being fifteen, but that someone would censor a package name because of a language that happens to have a vulgar (to some) name is unbelievable to me. Come on. I would think I get more exposure to offensive language from parents, friends, school and TV/movies, and seeing as how I've tried writing a few programs in brainfuck and I have used BitchX...I liberally sprinkle what I say with bad language when I see that there's a right occasion to do so. I'm sure I've said fuck more times in a day than there has been in this thread about one guy who just wants to use "brainfuck" in a package name instead of the censored version.
18 >
19 > I think that younger people who have enough reading skills and technical ability to install Gentoo or sign up for a mailing list would be mentally capable of understanding that the use of language like that isn't necessarily meant to offend someone, but that it's just someone's creative spin on a name.
20 >
21 > Sheltering "little children" from what is closer to being just another name more than offensive language is utterly pointless.
22 >
23 > Feel free to disagree.
24 >
25 > Cheers
26 > Jane
27
28 It would appear you missed the sarcasm in Lina's contribution to this
29 thread...
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list