From: Jane Lee <jane_lee@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:28:23
1 On Sunday, February 27, 2005, at 03:13PM, Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o> wrote:
2 >This thread brings up a very good point. There are little children
3 >using our distribution, and they should not be exposed to dirty words
4 >such as the one being disputed in this thread. There are other packages
5 >that are also questionable too. "BitchX" comes to mind, and "Evolution"
6 >is on the top of my die-package-die list. We certainly wouldn't want
7 >little children asking about that, now would we?
8 >
9 >In light of the above, I suggest that in the interest of being sure not
10 >to offend anyone, we remove the three aforementioned packages and any
11 >others that might be offensive. It's not censorship, it's decency.
12
13 I'm sorry. I'm sure I'd be on the younger side of all the people actually reading all the stuff that goes on in this mailing list, being fifteen, but that someone would censor a package name because of a language that happens to have a vulgar (to some) name is unbelievable to me. Come on. I would think I get more exposure to offensive language from parents, friends, school and TV/movies, and seeing as how I've tried writing a few programs in brainfuck and I have used BitchX...I liberally sprinkle what I say with bad language when I see that there's a right occasion to do so. I'm sure I've said fuck more times in a day than there has been in this thread about one guy who just wants to use "brainfuck" in a package name instead of the censored version.
14
15 I think that younger people who have enough reading skills and technical ability to install Gentoo or sign up for a mailing list would be mentally capable of understanding that the use of language like that isn't necessarily meant to offend someone, but that it's just someone's creative spin on a name.
16
17 Sheltering "little children" from what is closer to being just another name more than offensive language is utterly pointless.
18
19 Feel free to disagree.
20
21 Cheers