From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing VIDEO_CARDS=iris to virtual/opencl
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 13:14:45
1 On 2019-12-17 21:21, Matt Turner wrote:
2
3 >> What do you think, guys?
4 >
5 > I don't love it.
6 >
7 > I don't like the mess that has become VIDEO_CARDS=... either. radeon
8 > vs radeonsi vs amdgpu.
9 [...]
10
11 I hear you and very much agree, especially regarding the Radeon mess.
12 That said, it seems what we are complaining about is the whole
13 VIDEO_CARDS system rather than the introduction of 'iris' into
14 virtual/opencl.
15
16 The current situation with OpenCL providers for Intel GPUs ugly even
17 disregarding the above. Basically, it is:
18
19 1. Set VIDEO_CARDS: i965
20
21 2a. If you do not set ABI_X86: 32 for virtual/opencl, it will pull in
22 dev-libs/intel-neo
23
24 2a.1. NEO may or may not work but with the former more likely than the
25 latter (it's been a few years since Broadwell architecture came out);
26
27 2b. If, however, you DO enable 32-bit x86 ABI it will pull
28 dev-libs/beignet instead
29
30 2b.1. Beignet at least for the time being is likely to work even on
31 modern systems but nowhere nearly as well as NEO would and without
32 official upstream support.
35 In contrast, reassigning NEO to video_cards_iris would make the
36 Intel-GPU provider tree much more straightforward:
37
38 1. For i965, you would get dev-libs/beignet regardless of whether you
39 want 32-bit x86 ABI or not;
40
41 2. For iris, you would get dev-libs/intel-neo for native 64 bits and
42 nothing (okay, technically it would fall back to media-libs/mesa - but
43 the fact Mesa is considered a fallback OpenCL provider for all GPUs is a
44 completely different can of worms) for 32-bit x86 ABI.
48 MS