From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing VIDEO_CARDS=iris to virtual/opencl
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 21:21:20
1 On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 10:26 AM Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> wrote:
2 > What do you think, guys?
3
4 I don't love it.
5
6 I don't like the mess that has become VIDEO_CARDS=... either. radeon
7 vs radeonsi vs amdgpu. Different names for different bits of the
8 stack, even for the same hardware. I would like to come up with
9 something that avoids the confusion users often have.
10
11 Does anyone have suggestions?
12
13 Should we make a cpuid2cpuflags equivalent for VIDEO_CARDS?
14
15 Should VIDEO_CARDS specify only the vendor with MESA_VIDEO_CARDS=...
16 etc for individual packages? (Seems gross)
17
18 Should VIDEO_CARDS be more fine grained with multiple names for the
19 same thing sometimes? (e.g., offer VIDEO_CARDS=amdgpu for
20 media-libs/mesa that enables the radeonsi driver; similarly offer
21 VIDEO_CARDS=radeonsi for x11-libs/libdrm that enables libdrm_radeon).
22
23 I think perhaps that in conjunction with a cpuid2cpuflags-equivalent
24 is the most sensible.