From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:01:56
1 On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 01:21 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > The client/server thing is a concern for me here, as well, for security
3 > reasons. If I don't have an SSH server merged, it can't inadvertently
4 > be turned on somehow. SSH is apparently a dependency for something I have
5 > merged, and currently, it includes the SSH server. That worries me, as
6 > it's a server component on a normally client system, and is thus a
7 > potential security vuln. IMO, having it there when it's not used and the
8 > human behind the machine has no intention of running it, is just /asking/
9 > for security issues. It shouldn't be there in the first place.
10 > Unfortunately, there's no USE flag to turn it off.
11
12 There is zero security risk unless you, as root, start the server.
13
14 > Similarly with a couple of the DHCP packages I was looking at a few weeks
15 > ago. I normally run static IPs on a LAN behind a NAPT based router,
16 > giving me a /bit/ more leeway in terms of security on my Linux box, but
17 > decided to install some form of DHCP just in case. Several of those
18 > packages have both clients and servers, with apparently no way to only
19 > install the client, short of hacking the ebuild. IMO, that's not the way
20 > it should be. Gentoo isn't supposed to work that way, and PARTICULARLY in
21 > this sort of instance, where getting mixed up in your configuration may
22 > mean you start the server instead of the client, is a security risk that
23 > simply shouldn't have to be there in the first place.
24
25 I think you have the wrong assumption here on how Gentoo is "supposed to
26 work". Gentoo ships packages as close to how upstream packages them as
27 possible. If you have a problem with the daemon being shipped with the
28 client, then complain upstream. We have always provided the package as
29 determined by upstream. Splitting packages is a waste of developer time
30 and also makes things much more complex dependency-wise.
31
32 If you do not want the binary for the server installed, then edit the
33 ebuild yourself, remove the binary, or use INSTALL_MASK. It isn't like
34 we have not provided methods for you to do this yourself. You cannot
35 expect us to provide for every possible scenario and still get anything
36 accomplished.
39 Chris Gianelloni
41 Games - Developer
42 Gentoo Linux