From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: splitting one source package into many binaries
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:21:04
1 Chris Gianelloni posted <1119016612.13606.13.camel@×××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:56:52 -0400:
3
4 > On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 01:21 -0700, Duncan wrote:
5 >> The client/server thing is a concern for me here, as well, for security
6 >> reasons. If I don't have an SSH server merged, it can't inadvertently
7 >> be turned on somehow. [] Unfortunately, there's no USE flag to turn it
8 >> off.
9 >
10 > There is zero security risk unless you, as root, start the server.
11
12 I get the point, but if it's not there to be started, it cannot be
13 started, thru some fat-fingering on the part of a confused admin trying to
14 launch the client, or any other way. If it's needed, that's one thing, but
15 if it's not needed, it shouldn't be there. USE flags (not split
16 packages, I'll absolutely agree there) are the Gentoo way to control that.
17
18 >> Similarly with a couple of the DHCP packages I was looking at a few
19 >> weeks ago. [] Several of those packages have both clients and servers,
20 >> with apparently no way to only install the client, short of hacking the
21 >> ebuild. IMO, that's not the way it should be. Gentoo isn't supposed
22 >> to work that way, and PARTICULARLY in this sort of instance, where
23 >> getting mixed up in your configuration may mean you start the server
24 >> instead of the client, is a security risk that simply shouldn't have to
25 >> be there in the first place.
26 >
27 > I think you have the wrong assumption here on how Gentoo is "supposed to
28 > work". Gentoo ships packages as close to how upstream packages them as
29 > possible. If you have a problem with the daemon being shipped with the
30 > client, then complain upstream. We have always provided the package as
31 > determined by upstream. Splitting packages is a waste of developer time
32 > and also makes things much more complex dependency-wise.
33
34 Gentoo Philosophy page: "The Gentoo philosophy is to allow this user to
35 do what he or she wants to do, without getting in the way."
36
37 Of course, there's a practical limit to that. However, a simple
38 "clientonly" USE flag on client/server combo packages such as ssh and
39 dhcp would appear to be entirely within the Gentoo spirit, and generally
40 would require no more work than is already done in support of all sorts of
41 other USE flags. Simply don't compile or install the server, if a separate
42 binary from the client, and don't include /etc/init.d server starter
43 scripts (like sshd) and the like, if the clientonly USE flag is set.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
49 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list