From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] guidline to set a timeline of removal of ebuild from stable tree
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:59:42
1 cilly wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I think it's worth to discuss the `behaviour of removing ebuilds from
5 > the tree`.
6
7 Currently it's up to the developer, some people are more conservative,
8 some prefer to get rid of certain stuff asap.
9
10 You should differentiate between ~ and stable ones btw...
11 >
12 > In my opinion, ebuilds are removed too soon, i.e. if an ebuild gets updated
13 > the older ebuild gets removed in the same turn.
14
15 This happens only when:
16
17 - there are security concerns
18 - the old ebuild was there till ages and the new one had been in ~ since
19 ages.
20
21 > In my opinion, it is better to keep the older ebuild around for a while since
22 > if there are some bugs in the newer ebuild, users are able to downgrade easily.
23
24 that's is quite up to the specific applications IMHO.
25
26 > What do you think?
27
28 I'd leave it up to the developer, nothing is lost in gentoo and fetching
29 from the attic isn't exactly difficult. Still probably having a note to
30 make people aware of that could be useful since the problem you pointed
31 doesn't require any more work to be solved.
32
33 > PS: other topics to be discussed `Not to modify ebuilds which are
34 > already in the tree... even if masked` what do you think?
35
36 I probably understood what you mean and well, no, I don't think is a
37 good idea.
38
39 lu - that prefers less rules and more people aware.
44 Luca Barbato
45
46 Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
47 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero