From: Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Expanding categories' descriptions
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:02:21
1 01.04.2013 11:52, Michael Palimaka пишет:
2 > On 1/04/2013 04:29, Denis M. wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> (I was redirected from gentoo-doc@ to ask this here.)
6 >>
7 >> I think it's a good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found
8 >> in the corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions
9 >> of which packages are welcome to fit in which categories.
10 >>
11 >> The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the best
12 >> shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is about and
13 >> what packages are to be found there.
14 >>
15 >> This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
16 >> user-contributed ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not
17 >> sure0-000-p
18 >> about it either).
19 >> hat t
20 >> This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are to be
21 >> submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should provide a better
22 >> understanding of the categories.
23 >>
24 >> If expanding the metadata.xml files does not seem a good idea, we should
25 >> at least make a little bit more comprehensive description somewhere in
26 >> the gentoo.org/doc/ or wiki.gentoo.org pages.
27 >>
28 >> What do you think about it?
31 >> Regards,
32 >> Denis M. (Phr33d0m)
35 > Sounds good to me. From time to time I see even experienced developers
36 > not sure as to which category a package belongs.
37 >
38 > There is also inconsistency with packages of a certain type being spread
39 > over multiple categories. For example, packages containing "password
40 > manager" in the description currently exist in three different categories.
41
42 +1 for that. I was really confused(tbh, i am confused even now) about
43 x11-apps/x11-misc categories, for example. Sometimes it is really not
44 clear where package should goes.
45
46 Another example - app-admin/ansible. Some devs thinks that it should be
47 sys-cluster/ansible, but i put it into app-admin/, relying on
48 app-admin/puppet as an example.
49
50 So, some sort of clarification for such noobs, like me, would be really
51 appreciated :-)
55 Best regards, Sergey Popov
56 Gentoo Linux Developer
57 Desktop-effects project lead