From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Expanding categories' descriptions
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 07:52:31
1 On 1/04/2013 04:29, Denis M. wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > (I was redirected from gentoo-doc@ to ask this here.)
5 >
6 > I think it's a good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found
7 > in the corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions
8 > of which packages are welcome to fit in which categories.
9 >
10 > The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the best
11 > shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is about and
12 > what packages are to be found there.
13 >
14 > This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
15 > user-contributed ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not sure0-000-p
16 > about it either).
17 > hat t
18 > This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are to be
19 > submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should provide a better
20 > understanding of the categories.
21 >
22 > If expanding the metadata.xml files does not seem a good idea, we should
23 > at least make a little bit more comprehensive description somewhere in
24 > the gentoo.org/doc/ or wiki.gentoo.org pages.
25 >
26 > What do you think about it?
29 > Regards,
30 > Denis M. (Phr33d0m)
33 Sounds good to me. From time to time I see even experienced developers
34 not sure as to which category a package belongs.
35
36 There is also inconsistency with packages of a certain type being spread
37 over multiple categories. For example, packages containing "password
38 manager" in the description currently exist in three different categories.