From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News for Gentoo CI and pull request CI
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:55:42
1 Dnia 14 grudnia 2015 09:23:40 CET, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> napisał(a):
3 >Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 >On 12/11/2015 02:13 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >> Hi, everyone.
7 >>
8 >> I'd like to make a short announcement that in the last few days
9 >> I've been using my little free time to hack on my CI scripts, and
10 >> they had a few major improvements. Most notably:
11 >>
12 >> 1. pkgcheck now checks for outdated Manifests. In other words,
13 >> gentoo-ci will most likely complain about missing or extraneous
14 >> Manifest entries before Infra does, and pull request checks should
15 >> complain loudly about them before the PRs are merged.
16 >>
17 >> 2. The scripts use XML output of pkgcheck and group issues by
18 >> packages, rather than grepping text output for failure indications
19 >> and considering successive lines a single failure. Which means
20 >> better output, better permalinks, better navigation and a
21 >> completely new ugly UI.
22 >>
23 >> 3. Most of the persisting issues (like deprecations) are skipped
24 >> now, and all the output fits on one page. And that page is usually
25 >> easier on the browser than each of the splits were.
26 >>
27 >> 4. gentoo-ci compares previous check results correctly, and splits
28 >> the output into three groups: new issues, previous issues and
29 >> fixes issues.
30 >>
31 >> 5. gentoo-ci bisects on new issues, pinpoints the exact commit
32 >> introducing the failure and CCs both the author and the committer.
33 >> In other words, does the hard work for me and does it more
34 >> efficiently. It also has nice bisect caching support which makes
35 >> bisecting a number of issues caused by the same commit very fast.
36 >>
37 >> 6. pull-request checks now distinguish between issues introduced by
38 >> PR and carried over from ::gentoo. Not that you should ignore the
39 >> latter entirely since they may hide additional issues from PR.
40 >>
41 >> Most of this fun stuff came from a simple obvious thing that only
42 >> recently occurred to me: I don't have to run a full pkgcheck for
43 >> bisecting! I just need to check the packages that are failing in
44 >> the most recent commit!
45 >>
46 >> Of course, the whole thing is open source:
47 >>
48 >> 1. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/repo-mirror-ci
49 >>
50 >> 2. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/pkgcheck-result-parser
51 >>
52 >> Enjoy!
55 >Looks like you have a lot going on! That's cool. A quick question: is
56 >this all automatic, or is there something besides repoman that
57 >developers should be adding to their workflow to reduce the odds of
58 >issues? I care about building a better tree and writing better builds,
59 >but I haven't found much in the way of a "Gentoo QA Guide" that would
60 >help a developer like me not make mistakes like that one issue with
61 >apulse we dealt with a while back.
62 >
63 >Any suggestions?
64
65 It's all automatic and pretty much a subset of what repoman does. So, no, you don't need to change anything in your workflow. Just remember to run repoman.
66
67 However, if you're planning some potentially breaking change, you can file a PR to get free full-tree scan with pkgcheck without having to implement it yourself. Though i should probably provide a script making full-tree pkgcheck scans easier.
70 >- --
71 >Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
72 >OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
73 >fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
93 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.