From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News for Gentoo CI and pull request CI
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:23:47
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 12/11/2015 02:13 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Hi, everyone.
6 >
7 > I'd like to make a short announcement that in the last few days
8 > I've been using my little free time to hack on my CI scripts, and
9 > they had a few major improvements. Most notably:
10 >
11 > 1. pkgcheck now checks for outdated Manifests. In other words,
12 > gentoo-ci will most likely complain about missing or extraneous
13 > Manifest entries before Infra does, and pull request checks should
14 > complain loudly about them before the PRs are merged.
15 >
16 > 2. The scripts use XML output of pkgcheck and group issues by
17 > packages, rather than grepping text output for failure indications
18 > and considering successive lines a single failure. Which means
19 > better output, better permalinks, better navigation and a
20 > completely new ugly UI.
21 >
22 > 3. Most of the persisting issues (like deprecations) are skipped
23 > now, and all the output fits on one page. And that page is usually
24 > easier on the browser than each of the splits were.
25 >
26 > 4. gentoo-ci compares previous check results correctly, and splits
27 > the output into three groups: new issues, previous issues and
28 > fixes issues.
29 >
30 > 5. gentoo-ci bisects on new issues, pinpoints the exact commit
31 > introducing the failure and CCs both the author and the committer.
32 > In other words, does the hard work for me and does it more
33 > efficiently. It also has nice bisect caching support which makes
34 > bisecting a number of issues caused by the same commit very fast.
35 >
36 > 6. pull-request checks now distinguish between issues introduced by
37 > PR and carried over from ::gentoo. Not that you should ignore the
38 > latter entirely since they may hide additional issues from PR.
39 >
40 > Most of this fun stuff came from a simple obvious thing that only
41 > recently occurred to me: I don't have to run a full pkgcheck for
42 > bisecting! I just need to check the packages that are failing in
43 > the most recent commit!
44 >
45 > Of course, the whole thing is open source:
46 >
47 > 1. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/repo-mirror-ci
48 >
49 > 2. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/pkgcheck-result-parser
50 >
51 > Enjoy!
54 Looks like you have a lot going on! That's cool. A quick question: is
55 this all automatic, or is there something besides repoman that
56 developers should be adding to their workflow to reduce the odds of
57 issues? I care about building a better tree and writing better builds,
58 but I haven't found much in the way of a "Gentoo QA Guide" that would
59 help a developer like me not make mistakes like that one issue with
60 apulse we dealt with a while back.
61
62 Any suggestions?
63
64 - --
65 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
66 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
67 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6