From: George Prowse <george.prowse@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retirement
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:34:43
1 On 11 Aug 2008, at 14:19, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:51:11 -0700
5 >> "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Despite our best efforts Gentoo is not a fun-loving community where
8 >>> everyone gets along.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Actually, I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of the
12 >> problem.
13 >> Some people think Gentoo should primarily be a fun-loving community
14 >> where everyone gets along, whilst others think Gentoo should
15 >> primarily
16 >> be a first-rate distribution delivering a quality product.
17 >>
18 > You say that as if it is mutually exclusive. I claim that having fun
19 > leads to quality products because of motivation and the feedback
20 > between people where one challenges the other to do better - I've
21 > seen quite a few examples of such interactions in the past, but
22 > thanks to depressing monologues by people with too much ego that is
23 > becoming more and more rare.
24 >
25 > Gentoo is supposed to be fun.
26 >
27 > If it stops being fun only grumpy old men will do the bare minimum
28 > to keep things from breaking too badly instead of improving things.
29 > Meh. I demand mandatory fun hours twice a week! And a coffee
30 > machine. And a pony. Yes! A pony!
31
32 GLEP 57. Coffee machine and Pony Needed.
33
34 When in need of help, Gentoo needs a knight in shining armour, that
35 usually comes as coffee so to facilitate that we need a coffee machine
36 and a pony. I have just been informed by amne that the pony needs to
37 be pink.