From: Patrick Lauer <bugs@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Retirement
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:19:57
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:51:11 -0700
3 > "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Despite our best efforts Gentoo is not a fun-loving community where
6 >> everyone gets along.
9 > Actually, I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of the problem.
10 > Some people think Gentoo should primarily be a fun-loving community
11 > where everyone gets along, whilst others think Gentoo should primarily
12 > be a first-rate distribution delivering a quality product.
13 >
14 You say that as if it is mutually exclusive. I claim that having fun
15 leads to quality products because of motivation and the feedback between
16 people where one challenges the other to do better - I've seen quite a
17 few examples of such interactions in the past, but thanks to depressing
18 monologues by people with too much ego that is becoming more and more rare.
19
20 Gentoo is supposed to be fun.
21
22 If it stops being fun only grumpy old men will do the bare minimum to
23 keep things from breaking too badly instead of improving things. Meh. I
24 demand mandatory fun hours twice a week! And a coffee machine. And a
25 pony. Yes! A pony!