From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Smoother moderation scheme?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:51:07
1 William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 10:24 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
4 >> Alin N?stac wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > Do you have a solution to filter flamefests out of a ml? If you do,
7 >> > please share it with the list.
8 >>
9 >> Please give one example of a mailing list plagued by flamefests that
10 >> successfully solved their problems by adopting moderation without
11 >> completely alienating their communities.
12 >
13 > With two lists we could potentially reduce a single unified bonfire into
14 > two controlled burns :)
15 >
16 You already have two lists. Your argument that core is for more private
17 stuff, but not developer communication seems odd. My impression (never
18 having seen a core message) is that core doesn't actually function that
19 well, since dev v dev flames spill onto this list. If you are saying that
20 all developer discussion is supposed to happen on dev, fine, but I really
21 do not understand why that should mean users are not allowed to contribute
22 as you suggested in your other post.
23
24 As for moderation, the simple fact is that your devs have neither the time
25 nor the experience to do such a job. The ones that have the inclination
26 should probably be kept from it, in the same way that those who lust after
27 power should never get it. If you want the list to function of course you
28 need to have moderators who can suspend access or warn people to back off.
29 When my access was suspended, I didn't like it but I accepted the team's
30 decision-- because it was a team decision, from experienced moderators, not
31 just the decision of some random dev.
32
33 Good luck with reinventing everything and discussing the same stuff you have
34 for the last year that led to the formation of the Proctors. I accept that
35 the decision to disband them has been taken, although it seems odd that no
36 notification of the meeting which led to this latest change was given.
37 Obviously I think this is a major strategic error, and it's sad that rather
38 than one member admit a mistake, the present Council has to override the
39 consensus that took so long to reach.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list