From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Smoother moderation scheme?
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:11:05
1 On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 21:48 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
4 > You already have two lists. Your argument that core is for more private
5 > stuff, but not developer communication seems odd.
6
7 Well we need two development type of lists. The first question we ask
8 any new devs on our quizzes is
9
10 When is it appropriate to post to gentoo-core rather than gentoo-dev?
11
12 I would answer that, but I would be answering a quiz question. Of which
13 the answer can be found in our online documentation.
14
15 > but I really
16 > do not understand why that should mean users are not allowed to contribute
17 > as you suggested in your other post.
18
19 If two devs are having an issue they are trying to work out. Community
20 involvement is likely to make that issue larger and worse. Which could
21 result in a user siding with a dev, dev getting upset and bailing or
22 etc.
23
24 Instead of the two devs left to work out their problems on their own. If
25 they can't they take it to devrel or etc. When users get involved in
26 that, it mucks things up. We then have to start using words like
27 moderation and etc.
28
29 > As for moderation, the simple fact is that your devs have neither the time
30 > nor the experience to do such a job.
31
32 I have some ideas there that I need to run by others first. I will then
33 GLEP it and put it out there for all :)
34
35 > Good luck with reinventing everything and discussing the same stuff you have
36 > for the last year that led to the formation of the Proctors.
37
38 Making changes and evolving is not reinvention. Quit many things aren't
39 being changed.
40
41 > I accept that
42 > the decision to disband them has been taken, although it seems odd that no
43 > notification of the meeting which led to this latest change was given.
44
45 Pretty sure there are always notifications of council meetings. Although
46 not sure such notification is required per any policy.
47
48 > Obviously I think this is a major strategic error, and it's sad that rather
49 > than one member admit a mistake, the present Council has to override the
50 > consensus that took so long to reach.
51
52 Reversing a past decision is itself a form a admitting a mistake or
53 error. Or that trying something new didn't work as expected or etc.
56 William L. Thomson Jr.
57 Gentoo/Java