From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:17:13
1 again, even if there are corner cases which cannot be dealt with in a
2 different way...
3
4 having an eclass function like the mentioned one is bad, cause it
5 suggests that this is a way to fix things. It's not. Application
6 developers running gentoo might think "oh great, there is a pkgconfig
7 file for this, so I can use it in my Makefile". Then a Fedora packager
8 comes across this package and realizes a compile failure until he
9 notices the build system is calling for a pkgconfig file that cannot be
10 found anywhere. So he contacts this developer and asks which distro he
11 is using.
12
13 This already happened for me multiple times and the answers was "debian".
14
15 All this sounds like a very dirty workaround and if you need it, then do
16 it, but _don't_ create an eclass, cause it's not a good thing to
17 standardize.
18 These files should _not_ be distro-dependant. Try to find other solutions.
19
20 -1 for this eclass