From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:57:43
1 On 29/11/12 14:16, hasufell wrote:
2 >
3 > again, even if there are corner cases which cannot be dealt with in a
4 > different way...
5 >
6 > having an eclass function like the mentioned one is bad, cause it
7 > suggests that this is a way to fix things. It's not. Application
8 > developers running gentoo might think "oh great, there is a pkgconfig
9 > file for this, so I can use it in my Makefile". Then a Fedora packager
10 > comes across this package and realizes a compile failure until he
11 > notices the build system is calling for a pkgconfig file that cannot be
12 > found anywhere. So he contacts this developer and asks which distro he
13 > is using.
14
15 Standard autotools based packages always use
16
17 --with-blas=
18
19 so it is pretty simple for us to make it to
20
21 --with-blas="$(pkg-config --libs blas)"
22
23 same thing goes for cmake and
24
25 -DBLAS_LIBRARIES="$(pkg-config --libs blas)"
26
27 This game has been played since ever, because blas/lapack are bundled in
28 more then 80% of the packages using it. So we are used to patch them to
29 use system libs. So why not making our lives easier by having a
30 pkg-config option?
31
32 justin